Thursday, June 9, 2011

Day 2 - Starbucks Outdoor Seating w/ Umbrella



Today I am grateful for Starbucks outdoor seating.



I was having kind of a crappy day. I have been fairly emotionally raw and today was absolutely no exception. On my break - oh, also thankful that my break is 15 minutes instead of 10 - anyway, on my break I went to Starbucks for some desperately needed tea. Also, because I love sweets and because I use food to comfort myself in times of despair, I got myself a birthday pop. Now, in case you have not had a birthday pop from Starbucks I can only say that they are DIVINE! They are essentially undercooked cake batter dipped in a kind of waxy pink frosting with little white sprinkles. Delicious. So, after getting my order from the barista (he told me something kind of strange like, "let me know if the drink isn't as magnificent as I wanted it to be"), I was going to go back to the miserably tiny and fluorescent lit Cost Plus break room to console myself with said tea and birthday pop. But when I stepped outside it all of a sudden hit me that it was a gorgeous day and that I should sit outside. Oh my goodness. Ahhh. Just sitting down outside and breathing in fresh air was such a good way to get rid of my sadness and emotional funk. My mind wandered to this and that. After a minute I was relaxed enough to notice an abandon bag sitting by the trash can and began to wonder if there was a bomb. I pondered it for a while. Should I call the cops? Should I go check it out? I quickly dismissed the thought of doing anything about it and went back to enjoying my tea.


It was really good to just get outside and remember why I am working in the first place. It was good to remember that this job was supposed to be a job I didn't take home with me. It was supposed to be a job that I wasn't emotionally invested in. After all, it's just wine, not brain surgery. It's temporary, I keep reminding myself. Yes, my true potential is being wasted but, as Mark likes to remind me, even cave women went out and gathered nuts and berries. So until we have enough nuts and berries I will continue to gather.


Once my break was over I felt much better for having sat in the non-filtered air of the great outdoors at River Park. Well, it's no Dinkey but it'll have to do.



Thank you Starbucks.

3 comments:

  1. So what the heck was in the bag?!?!?!! I should make you some Lolli cakes and you will think they are much better than the birthday pop! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog. I have so much more to say, but for now just know that I love you sincerely. Give your sweet kids a hug from me! xo

    ReplyDelete